Monday, July 22, 2013

Cross Platform Game Development with PlayN - Architecture

Since PlayN is a cross-platform framework I wanted to have a shared cloud service to provide a data storage for game scores, level data, etc...  I would use this service to allow users to design custom levels on the PC via their browser, and publish it for play on any other device running the game.

I create a Google App Engine project called Play-Plus (www.gplayplus.com). The data architecture allows for the hosting and data storage of an unlimited number of games.  I plan to reuse this framework for ever game I publish, the service will be expanded to allow user in-app purchases and turn\real-time multi-player action.

Once completed, I will provide an SDK for other developer to use.  Initially I explored using an existing API, such as ScoreLoop, Facebook, etc...  However, it required me to configure leader boards for each level, etc... Since levels can be created dynamically, I needed leader boards, rating, etc... to all be created instantly when a level was published.

I have separated the java classes for PlayN - Play Plus which I will package into a JAR, it will include the play plus dialogs which use TriplePlay.  This will be used inside the core project so there are no platform dependencies.  Additional JAR files per platform will connect the core service interfaces with the individual optimize platform implementations.
Next time I will discuss resources to read to get started developing your own game.

Until next time, I would greatly appreciate a like on Facebook or play on Facebook to help it get published in their App Centre.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Tim,
The Article give Detail information about Cross Platform Game Development with PlayN .It give detail information ,Thanks for Sharing the information.Xamarin Consultant