Thursday, July 4, 2013

Cross Platform Game Development with PlayN - Concept


The first game I developed was very simple and used the LibGDX framework, it was good experience but I wanted to create a game that was more complex and allowed me to build onto a story.  At the time LibGDX only supported Android & Java.

While searching for possible frameworks to use, I came across PlayN which offered Android, iOS, HTML5, Java & Flash.  Not to mention the fact that is was developed by people at +Google and used by Rovio for Angry Bird Chrome.

I love 2D physics games and I really wanted to create one. My game concept was born from a really awesome movie which included a cast of legendary actors.  However, I needed to make them fictional characters, so I made them worms and of course their enemy is birds. 

The idea of what types of birds they would be didn't come until much latter.  I live in Newfoundland... and we have lots of seagulls.  This spring they were all around my house, perched on the roof, about 20 of them and relieving themselves quite often!!  For about 2 week, we would awake to the sound of these gulls, squawking on the roof. Ohhh, how I wanted to get rid of them PERMANENTLY!!  However, seagulls are a federal protected species, errrr.  So I couldn't kill them in real life, but I can in the game :)

Now with my concept started, I begin into programming.  There is a lot to discuss so I'm going to create a post for each sections of the game I've programmed, +Box2D , +Google Cloud Platform integration, graphics, ageing particle systems, triple play, licensing, Facebook integration, and platform specific code.

Until next time, I would greatly appreciate a like on Facebook or play on Facebook, seems Facebook doesn't list your game in App Center unless you already have people liking and playing it.

No comments: